Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Nightmare Prata @ Jalan Kayu

I had loads of story for today's outing with Taupok, but just let me finish on this food review first. I'll update it in the next entry about the jokes and stuff. :P

We got to Thasevi's Prata at Jalan Kayu, thinking we could order the following items.

  • Cheese prata
  • Chicken murthabak
  • Curry chicken
  • Egg & onion prata
  • Ice cream prata
  • Milo dinosaur - beverage.

When we arrived, imagine my shock *insert sound effect here* when the price listed at the board beside the counter has been adjusted.

WHAT?! Egg & Onion cost $1.70?! Murthabak cost $5?! Dinosaur cost $2.70?! ohh and hell.. ice cream prata cost $6!!

Despite having a mild heart attack from the price listed, we ordered the followings.

  • 2 egg & onion prata
  • 1 cheese prata
  • 1 chicken murthabak
  • 1 curry chicken
  • 2 milo dinosaur

Sorry dey! No ice cream prata for us! So expensive la dey..

These are the dishes. Sorry for the bad photography skills! (some by me and some by tau pok. All photos taken by my SE K800I phone.)

They served up 2 curries which tasted very different. One was the chicken that we ordered, slightly diluted and not as rich as before, while the other (presented as the smaller plate of curry) tasted totally weird.

I have no clue what brings about the weird taste in the curry, but mark my word that it is not fish curry, not chicken or anything that they serve up with prata. It has a strong condensed milk taste and i couldn't bring myself to force it down my throat because it is in one word description.

 

 GROSS!

 

The perfect punishment tool. Gross and layers of oil..

The egg & onion were "okay", not too fascinating but not too bad either. I thought it might have been overcooked though since I couldn't taste the egg, but of oil and onion.

 So yeah, you get my point. :S

The chicken murthabak in my opinion, is a big flop. Firstly, it was difficult to cut. A good murthabak in my opinion should be crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. This murthabak would be a knight's shield, if my fork is said to be the sword.

It was so difficult to cut the murthabak up!!! The only distinctive taste in the murthabak is the onions, not the marinated spice. :S

On top of that, the marinated chicken tasted like leftover chicken. Yes, you heard it right. Leftovers. I'll let you look at the proof.

Bits of dry chicken that looks like they've been left out for quite some time before they are put into our murthabak.

It was inpossible to stomach the murthabak w/o curry. It was too dry, too hard and a waste of our $5. :( 

We had the milo dinosaur, that used to give me this energy boost whenever I drank it in the past. Be it at the coffee shop, bubble tea shop or even at home.

Just not here. It looks pretty with the creme and syrup presentation, but does little to help.

The taste just doesn't make it. It was too thin even with all mixing done.

Bimbo beverage. With looks, no essence. :X

Despite all the disappointments mentioned, the cheese prata was surprisingly good,  not too salty, is crispy and goes down the throat equally well without the curry. It is light and not too heavy on the stomach as well. If for any reason I'm going back, it's the cheese prata.

Can you see the cheese?

I am now wondering if they really do derserve the so called best food award 07/08 they had at the cashier for I've had better prata in school and even down the street!

This was took before our nightmare prata meal arrived and ewww. You be the judge.

This meal has totally crashed all my impression because I used to had weekly dinner here and it was fantastic. Now, in my most closest words to describe my disgust, I'd say..

"Best Roti Prata in Singapore? My arse."

But thats my personal opinion. So perhaps someone can tell me its not happening, that taupok and I have been dreaming and show me something good from here by trying it out for yourself.

Other than the cheese prata. :D

 

OUT!

Charps.

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA